12 July 2013

California

I have often thought that equal representation of the states in the U.S. Senate was an anachronism.  Seriously, does it really make sense that California, with a population of 60 times that of Rhode Island, have the same number of representatives in the Senate?  But up to now, the only alternative I have considered is to amend the constitution to allocate Senate seats proportionately, which of course the smaller states wouldn't stand for.

Seeing this:



....makes me think of an alternative.   There should be a requirement that any state that reaches a population of 10 million people should be broken up into two states.  

Today, 7 states meet this requirement:  California, Texas, New York, Florida, Illinois, Pennsylvania and Ohio.  Under this rule, California would be broken up into at least 4 states, Texas at least 3, and the rest at least two.

Honestly, I don't understand why politicians in California have never considered breaking their state up. Don't they know their people are getting screwed?

No comments:

Post a Comment